June 21, 2008

Getting to know the dwarf rabbit language (III)

Dwarf rabbits and any animal in general have to ability to express their feelings and needs, not as humans do, but they do “speak” an animal language, and as an owner and rabbit lover you have to learn to understand your little furry friend.

Here, we present some typical rabbit behaviors that you have overlooked, but that actually were direct messages from your pet rabbit to you:

  • Hitting the floor with the posterior legs. This means little rabbit is scared, so when you hear the noise made by his back legs go and make it know there is nothing to be afraid of.
  • Peeing around. Non-castrated adult female and male dwarf rabbits will demark their territories leaving on their way an annoying leaking for you to clean up. Males might also pee over the females to address possession.
  • Scattering feces. The dwarf rabbit is such a territorial little creature, and one way to demark its territory is by scattering its poops. This particularly happens when it is in new places. It becomes a custom when another dwarf rabbit is in the same place.
  • Rubbing with the chin. Their chins have smell glands; therefore they rub all their belongings with their chins.
  • False pregnancy. Some female dwarf rabbits that have been sterilized build nests with straw and hairs from their bellies they tear out to clear their teats. They may also stop eating as female rabbits do before they give birth.

5 Comments:

Aringsburg said...

Hey... you are doing a great job here. My name is I am Arings; the best words I can use to introduce myself are: "I am an Avid dog Lover". I just chanced to drop by your blog http://exotic-pet.blogspot.com/ and found it to be amazingly interesting.

I also blog on dogs. My motive is to share a bit of knowledge that I have gathered all these years of staying with them. I run a couple of blogs too.

German Shepherd Dogs: http://aringsburgkennel.blogspot.com
Welcome Dog Lovers: http://welcomedoglovers.blogspot.com

You can find my highly researched works in both these blogs. Please check these out and let me know if we can go for link exchange.

Regards
Arindam Ghosh (Arings)
India

Martina said...

Hi, it's been a long time since you got a new comment, right? :)
I am too a huge fan of small animals and all kinds of exotic pets, so I find your info useful.

You may want to check out my site http://www.unusualpets.org

for link exchange or further reference.
Thanks!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hello,

Nice article has been shared.i really enjoyed reading your this article and also did get Lots of good points from here. thanks for sharing such article here. i would like to see some information related to pet boarding sydney here in this article. keep on posting such article here in future too.

Share this post